Thursday, April 09, 2009

What a day

I'm not going to waste anyone's time throwing up on my computer about yesterday's historic meltdown. You all know what happened, I'm no reporter. Just suffice it say, it's over, let's move on, the 0-3 Nats are in town for the home-opener this weekend. This is the first home-opener I've missed in a few years, but the beach comes calling and Mrs. The Goat would not be happy if I scrapped a beach trip for 1 of 81 games (as she sees it) to be played at the Ted this year.

What I will tell you about is an otherwise awesome day. 4:30pm Tuesday evening I get a call from a great friend (you'll know why she's so great in a moment... keep reading). "Goat," she says, "I know this is short notice, but can you get out of work tomorrow?" "Probably not, I'm already out Friday." "Bummer, my husband just got 4 tickets to the Masters Practice Round and Par 3 tournament tomorrow." "HELL YEA I CAN GET OUT OF WORK."

3 phone calls, 2 voicemails, and 1 conversation with my boss later, and I'm free for a trip to Augusta. I am one of fortunate few to have been, now twice, to the Mecca of Golf (in the US) that is Augusta National. If you ever get the chance, it's one of those "can't turn down" opportunities, even for a practice round. Sell your youngest child or promise your first-born, it's an incredible sight.

The highlight of the day was Greg "The Shark" Norman drilling a turtle in the shell with an errant shot that he attempted to skip across the pond on the par three 16 (they do cool stuff like that during practice rounds). The ball never touched the water, just a raced 1 foot foot in the air from the blade of his 4 iron to the shell of that unsuspecting turtle. Priceless entertainment.

1 comment:

Mackie said...

that's animal cruelty...they shouldn't make turtles have to watch golf.