Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Jake Taylor, Catcher

Gregg Zaun, 38


Jake Taylor, 38ish

I noted yesterday watching the O's kick the snot out of the Yanks that O's catcher Gregg "Don't call me washed up" Zaun bears a striking resemblance to famed catcher Jake Taylor. As Zaun (age 38) was trying to calm hurler Jeremy Guthrie as he attempted to squander a 6-1 lead, I had flashbacks to 1989, when as a 7 year old, I was first subjected the F-bombs and public urination that comprise the ROTFLMAO flick "Major League."

If you haven't seen the movie, I hereby declare you are NOT a baseball fan. Essentially Jake Taylor is a washed up major league catcher struggling with his old-ness and broken down body while he's got a team of misfits to lead. The more I think about this analogy the more it sounds just like Zaun and the O's. Don't worry Zaun, you get the girl in the end.

No comments: