Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Squandering Opportunities

If you watched last night's game, you're likely wondering what the hell this title means. The Braves won.

That they did. And I certainly wouldn't say they squandered opportunities in reaching that result.

But, yesterday afternoon a buddy called with tickets to the game. Of course, I couldn't go. I had the opportunity, and I missed one hell of a game thanks to some stupid banquet with a bunch of high school umpires that I barely know (albeit @ Texas Roadhouse).

I would have much rather seen Francouer snap out of 0 for 2 years slump in the clutch with a game tying blast in the bottom of the ninth, and Chipper follow it up with one of his patented punch-it-out-there singles to score Escobar (after a steal) in the 12th. PAUSE... I've got to say more about that:

Escobar stole a base in the bottom of the 12th to put himself in position to score the winning run! First off, the Braves don't steal as I've addressed before. More importantly, as I've also ranted, Escobar is a terrible base-runner! This is the type of action I want to see more of: stolen bases, sac bunts (Francouer got his first ever), moving the runner, and clutch singles.

So last night it wasn't the men in uniform squandering opportunities (for a change), it was me crammed in tiny booth with 3 other large men (surround by 100 others) choking on stale peanuts when I could have been watching an awesome game!

3 comments:

Mackie said...

btw, I'm assuming everyone at the Roadhouse was wondering who all these guys with thick glasses were.

George Houston said...

That was one of the best finishes to a game that I've seen it a long time! Just one question when did our outfielders learn how to hit home runs?

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, we also turned down tickets to the game.