Thursday, June 04, 2009

I like this move

Braves acquired CF Nate McClouth from the Pirates yesterday for RP Charlie Morton, LP Jeff Locke, and OF Gorkys Hernandez.

Last year when the Braves lost a 3 games series to the Pirates and were already looking for outfield help, I was hoping to land either McClouth or Nady (both from the Bucs and both had just eaten our lunch). Finally we've got some help.

When McClouth takes the field tonight, he'll be leading the Braves in HR, RBI, and Stolen Bases! (and noone is really close in any of those categories). Not to mention we've got a gold glove centerfielder again (although fielding was certainly a part of the game that Schafer did well).
The sad part... Schafer was our 5 tool player that was going to be the future. In 50 games has he ruined his chances with the big club? I'd hate to see that all is lost on him. He was supposed to be optioned to Triple A to regain is swing (which was great during Spring Training), but this is no temporary move.
While I'm thrilled to have a great centerfielder locked up for this year and the next 3, I hope Schafer gets a chance. I think we'll see him again before exploring trade options, but probably at LF or... dare I say it... right.

2 comments:

George Houston said...

"...he'll be leading the Braves in HR, RBI, and Stolen Bases!"

Where do you think Bobby will bat him in the lineup?

Goat said...

Looks like the 3 hole. Not sure I agree.