Friday, June 05, 2009

New to the 3 hole

Yesterday's game was rained out but the line-up was announced, and Chipper wasn't too chipper (ooooh, that was terrible).

"I prefer to hit third," Jones said. "But [manager] Bobby [Cox] wants to do what's best for the club, and if he thinks Nate might get a couple of hits hitting in the third hole because I'm hitting behind him, then so be it."

Looks like McClouth will be hitting in the 3 hole at least for a while. And since he is the team's leading HR and RBI guy, why not?

My thought is Yunel who's hitting at the top of line-up has gotten more RISP chances than Chipper who's been hitting 3rd (in the same # of games). Also, you're moving your best hitter out of his most familiar spot.

I'm not sure how Yunel's #'s in the lead-off spot compare to when he's in the 2 hole, but I would have given some thought to this line-up:

Escobar
McClouth
Chipper
G. Anderson
McCann
Johnson (while he's still hot)
Francouer
Prado/Kotchman
Pitcher

Only problem is that stacks 3 lefties in the middle (with the switch-hitting Chipper separating the lefty McClouth), but against RHPs, you've got 5 straight lefties! You could switch Johnson and Francouer to avoid 7th or 8th inning lefty reliever against your 4,5,6 guys.

I think I like him in the 2 hole, and decide between Escobar and Johnson for a lead-off man. The other can hit in the 6 or 7 hole. I sure do like having a Francouer, Prado or Kotchman in the 8 hole over Schafer. I think our lineup just got a LOT better!

No comments: