Monday, May 11, 2009

"Maybe we should play all our games on the road..."

A 4-1 streak on the first five games of this road trip lead Mrs. Goat to say last night, "maybe we should play all our games on the road." The Braves record on the road is now 10-7 compared is a dismal 5-9 at home. This painful reality reminded me of another soapbox I was planning to jump on: Why the hell are we ever out-cheered by our opponents at the Ted????

Last Tuesday, I joined a few friends (and sadly Met fans) to sit just behind the wall in left-centerfield as Kawakami faced the Mets in the second of a two game series. The Braves struggled to score runs, as has often been the case, and Kawakami had a shaky outing (again not a surprise). Throughout the game I remember thinking, "damn Goat, there sure are a lot of Mets fans here." Braves fans made a few weak attempts to drown out the chant of "Let's Go Mets," but they generally were as unsuccessful as our men on the field.

As I sat and fumed a little, I was taken back to a game just a few years ago on Father's Day. The Bo-Sox were in town and so were all there bandwagon fans with no tie whatsoever to the city of Boston or the men with two socks adorning their jerseys. I had long fashioned myself a Red Sox fan after a Braves fan (and with good reason, I'm 50% New Englander), but this game ruined it for me. There is no way that there were 25,000 legitimate Red Sox fans in Atlanta for that game. And no way that Braves fans should have been out-numbered by fans for a team over 1,000 miles away!

Get off you arses Braves fan, get down to the stadium and make some freaking noise.

No comments: