Thursday, March 12, 2009

Otherwise Noteworthy

In the "otherwise noteworthy" category, I give you this rant.

Monday afternoon, after a short day at the office, I came home and start a small (a very much legal) fire in my backyard to burn yard debris. With an hour, a fire truck pulls up in front of the house (I live in the back of a rather large neighborhood- we don't get fire trucks often, unless my fat asthmatic neighbor is croaking again). The truck doesn't stop or warn me or bother me at all.

Several hours later, my fire is still burning, and I'm still tending to it. Here comes the fire truck again. My this time, the sun had gone down. Little did I know burning after sunset is not ok. They give me a warning and put the fire out for me. Apparently they were just as annoyed with whichever nosey ass neighbor called me in as I was. I laugh it off, and vow to stay within the rules next time.

Today I receive a letter in the mail, along with a notice that I have a certified mail letter as well. The letter is from a local attorney. "Dear Goatboy: Your neighbor (not the aforementioned fat asthmatic) is bothered by your fire... yada yada yada... he and his kids have asthma... yada yada yada... stop burning or we'll go to court." Are you effing kidding me??? My neighbor to the rear of my property, who has multiple security lights which shine into my bedroom window and runs sprinklers all through the night, is bothered by my smoke?? More annoyingly, he paid an attorney to write a letter to threat legal action rather than knocking on my door or mailing me his own damn letter. I'll be working on a rebuttal tomorrow, it begins with starting another fire at 10am!

No comments: